Friday, February 27, 2015

Bike! :D

I got around our college town on my trusty Diamondback Lustre 2 for about 3 years before the fateful day it was...
*skip to the stars to read about the dog*

...well, first stolen, then found with huge scratches, THEN taken apart to be powder-coated, because of the scratches in the paint.

Winter is Coming - WINTER IS COMING USE PLENTY OF SALT
This.

Then the MORE fateful day that the fork's nylon was melted... well, what a mess that left me in.  Perfectly powder coated and useless.  -.-

So no bike for 2 years!  Because I was all... I'll fix what I have, but that $80 fork doesn't even fit!  Well, I can't spend half of new bike's value just for someone else to do what I can try and figure out.  Ugh, lazy... no clue how I took this apart.

Well no more!  I got a lovely... I dunno, something from our local sporting goods store that has its own bike shop.  If something happens, they will help me fix it, unlike stupid Daimondback/Sports Authority!  *deep breathing*  Or so I assume, I didn't actually ask...  I get nervous asking for help just to look at bikes.  And while it was awkward and uncomfortable, the fellow got me on the right size --they have different adult women's sizes!

So I have a bike, it's a comfortable commuter/road bike style.  I don't know how many gears, but they're there.  Ready when I need them.  And of course now that I have it home, I'm thinking it would be cool to take into a canyon with the dog, despite the fact that mountain biking, the sport, terrifies me.  (I could have gotten a hybred, but didn't.)  "I'll stick to the trails, a commuter can handle gravel road!"  Right??

Try again.

So I have a bike, and it feels like half of my soul has been restored.  It is just SO awesome to go out on that thing!  My knee likes not hurting while dog is RUNNING.

I need a bike rack pronto; it fits in my back seat, but that's where the PUPPY goes!  Anyway, not before bills are paid.

Funny enough, now the pressure is off with old bike.  I feel, more willing to try and put it back together, because if I mess up, all is not lost.

******************

Jorah is doing VERY well with the metal thing.  (I'm glad I used carts at the hardware box stores on our field trips!)  Stays beside me, & usually keeps to the side-walk side of trees and poles.  He is picking up on my "right" and "left" quickly.  (We'd used the terms a bit in the past, but I let it fall by the wayside in favor of "this way" "come on" or just "fus".)  His main issue is stopping to smell things!

He's nearly gotten himself run over by me thrice, but I am being quite clear that crossing over in front of me is NOT okay!  +I lowered my seat so I could stop right away without killing myself.  +I'm not going crazy fast, because I don't trust him to not dooooo that!  Maybe I should forbid behind-me crossing over as well, just to be extra clear.  For the second day of experience, I am quite pleased.

While it would take going up a hill or across town to wipe me out on the thing, we're keeping it slow and short for the puppy's bod. (and my bum!)  Trotting 9 blocks with micro-breaks is plenty!  Maybe too much,  bones and all...  I wasn't really thinking, and he was happy to start the last 4.  Only started lagging pretty hard on the last 2.  He's been woofed the rest of the day, but not so much that he can't get excited and play with the kitty/grandpa.  I'll have to keep it short.  Weird thing is, he refused to drink water!  Just smelled it and went off to look for the kitty.  So I tricked him, by immersing some kibble in water.  He got a cucumber slice as well.

I'd really love to take him to a fenced track so I could remove his leash and try a short, full-on race.  ^^  Not sure which local school would work for that.  (Where I wouldn't be run off by a groundskeeper.)

Anyway, I got the bike for me, but I'm now seeing the potential to keep Jorah far more fit than walks with spurts of jogging and short tugging/ball chasing sessions have provided.  I just have to be careful not to over-do it.  Maybe I can try one of those kiddie trailers for long rides.






Resources!

This one is a cool cross-country blog, and products: https://cyclinggypsies.wordpress.com/dogs-on-bikes/

Why are common products mildly specialized SO expensive??

"Don't expect your dog to be able to run for long distances in the beginning. Just like us, dogs need some time to acclimate to an exercise routine. Start off by riding at a walking speed on an easy path for a short distance. As she gets used to this over a week or two, build up to a trotting speed after a ten minute warm-up walk. Observe your dog at all times and stop immediately if she appears tired, is panting heavily, drooling excessively, or loses coordination (this may be signs of hyperthermia). If she seems to be slowing down, stop and allow her to rest and have a drink.

Remember, this isn't a race. Pedal at a pace that will allow your dog to keep up easily."
http://www.petmd.com/dog/wellness/evr_dg_biking_with_your_dog_safely

"You cannot just start biking miles on your first time out. You need to gradually increase your dog’s stamina. According to canine expert Christine Zink, D.V.M., Ph.D, you should gradually increase the distance you travel by 5 to 10 percent every four to six exercise sessions. She recommends that once you reach a distance of 2 miles, you should limit biking to every other day providing a day of rest for rejuvenation of the muscles. Extremely fit dogs can run farther distances per day if the sessions are broken up (less if riding on pavement, which can be tough on the skeletal system). Personally I even feel like a couple of miles is plenty. At the end of your ride, pay attention to how your dog reacts. Are they panting heavily for over 10 minutes and laying down (you probably went too far) or do they seem to be ready for more.

In the hot summer months remember that your dog can become overheated quickly. Only ride during cooler parts of the day and make sure the pavement is not too hot. Also make sure the rides are for shorter distances. Your dog can become overheated quickly since they cannot cool their bodies through sweating like humans. Parker and I usually ride a mile or two every other day. Sometimes we break up the rides. Obviously, be sure to stop to rest occasionally and always monitor your dog for signs that nature is calling.

Also monitor your dog’s pads for cuts or scrapes. Consider using a good paw pad wax or even protective booties if riding on rough terrain often. As I mentioned before, please use common sense when biking your dog. Remember that he or she wants to please you and can't communicate that they are getting tired. Always err on the side of shorter distances and slower pace when in question.

Your dog should be at least a year old and a minimum of 25 lbs to start biking. They should be closer to a year and a half before biking longer distances. Please use common sense when biking your dog. Build up stamina slowly and never push your dog beyond their means."

http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/dog-biking-tips.html

Interesting site that sells trailers, and has this how-to
http://www.tonystrailers.com/buildyourown/

Aw, now I feel extra bad about those last 2 blocks.  :(  I shan't repeat the mistake.  I'm glad that the "slow" feeling pace I kept so Jorah could easily trot, and the few breaks to pee/smell was not just me babying him.  He really needs that!


No comments:

Post a Comment