Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Training Progress

The repetition is helping the maneuvers I need to make with him "click".  I'm getting better at cutting hot dogs, and placing tracks.  I like to think I'm pretty fast, for grinding in footprints.

He's getting better at plots, sit, and I'm getting better at saying "yes!" on time after "watch".  I need to mix up the order better when play-training.

We started fus today!!!  WOOO. Step, sit, step, sit.  He knows sit.  Glenn says he's being lazy, not doing it faster-he KNOWS it.  Just give him a corrective tug on the leash when he's not minding properly or jumping.  I did a couple separate times, Glenn said good.  Jorah surely smartened up, but he seemed off when we got home. Solemn.  Staring. after I got things in order, I found him in one of his favorite laying spots, and told him he wasn't in trouble, a good boy, etc, giving cuddles.  He cheered up after that, and tried luring me into a game of chase.  I played a tiny bit, then went to handle my homework--er, find my laptop--shoot!

This happens when I correct him with NO's as well.  He gets all submissive and shrunk/alert, I go off from the area of SHAME and talk sweet to him.  Maybe I should just let the whole "she's in charge" settle in?  Maybe I'm doing things just right?  I dunno.  Glenn said that if you can train a bitch, you can train anything, because they get their feelings hurt and shut down.  I think: maybe Jorah is more like a Malanois bitch than the guys he keeps telling me about?  "Sensitive dogs" and all.  I don't know.  I'm not sure how to express the full idea without sounding... "it said this on the internet" kind of ignorant.  I'm sure that Glenn would be happy to let Jorah mull things out for himself in a separate space.  Guys are harder creatures.  Jaren doesn't forgive serious infractions for a while.  I want to smooth things over quickly.

But yeah, tracking is rough on me, but pretty awesome once Jorah is in a flow on the trail.  I'm learning better how to walk with him... sort of figuring it out as I go.  Glenn will see what we are doing next Wednesday.

So far:
Plots    (be sure to let him finish eating before calling over for next thing.)
Sit       (x2 start adding stay)
Watch (start adding time)
Aus     (with play tug)

Suk   (my notes: consistent resistance, let him know pulling is good here.  Don't only give strong resistance when he missed a step/can't go forward.  "rudder" with the leash softly along with his progress so it's a pattern.  Try talking to him about "left" "right" "there" not at all.  Not sure about "missed one."  (already told to not point!)  Stopping at a corner he over-shoots is GOOD.)

Fus  (leaning against wall not awful, just step away so he can't quite.  Get in position, cover treat in left palm "FUS" step "YES!" nom nom "SIT."  repeat.  when heeling he needs to sit if I stop.  work along walls/fences... go further and stuff.)  Oh, was this also what the toy was being used with?  Or was that a separate command?  "watch"?

Tug  (Try getting him using his BACK teeth.  Lead him on just like a cat with string.)

general notes:
be a cheerleader: exciting voice, moving around also good for interest.
Okay to do some one day, some different another: keep it mixed up.
Keep hand out of leash loop!!!
Play with the rope more than chase.  Lots more.  pretty much stop chasing.

ENUNCIATE and don't be high-pitched when giving commands, especially plots.

'LET' HIM REST before working!  No playing or swimming or running around before "work".  (Tracking, obedience, etc)

Don't feel like I can't do anything because of leaving the dog.  Space is good.  "healthy separation" to borrow a theme from me and Poppa.  Better for training.  Glen's reaction to why I feel guilty leaving him "he throws a fit whenever I leave." "So?"

Make a money jar for dates!!!  Write IOU's and put them in.  (Duh.  of course!)  I can start with $5 for sure.

Do I really know what he likes?  He shows that fuzzy ball off all over at home here.  When I told Glen that he likes it, Jorah took a minute to give a care.  "she THINKS that you like it." Glen said to him.  I think he was nervous?  blegh, How do I get him to revv up short of waving a chihuahua in his face?

I'm glad to get that out there.  That was a lot to hold in my head.


No comments:

Post a Comment