Friday, October 10, 2014

Tracking and Obedience and Money Jars, oh my!

Agility is on hold until my pup grows into his bones more.  

I met Glenn, who is awesome yet intimidating.  I was under the impression that "train you to train your dog" involved only the dissemination of knowledge.  WRONG.  Not only am I told "don't think" (I start asking too many questions for simple instructions/jump out of the topic.)  But Jory is not the only one getting consequences for negligence/disobedience.  Money Jar.  I need one at home, and Glenn has one.  Home mistakes go to a date night.  Training session mistakes go to GLENN'S date night.  Forgetting to say "yes" is a quarter.  :(  I lost track of how many quarters I owe!  I don't really carry cash, either, so maybe I will get a counter app.  Will that lose its punch?  Probably.  debit account value loss, really hurts my soul.  Just taking out the quarters and dollars is gonna be... ouch.  But after that, I'm not sure!  Maybe I could set up a paypal account, and... yeah...

Anyway, I have been having a great time with Jory.  It's really great to be given permission to have expectations of his behavior.  I was so worried about being harsh that I wasn't assertive or constructive, either.  That said, I am going to be very careful with his feels, and not let my head simplify training into 'me vs him', which would be awful.  I think that's the impression that I had earlier.  Anyway, I know that his breed might not be perfect for obedience, and I'm okay with that.  And then I remember the money jar...  :(  Must train him to listen!!!  I think that "sit", "watch", and "plotts" are perfectly acceptable to expect.  If we hit a wall or something, I will ask Glenn about it.  He seems very very wise about dogs.  

I'm kind of nervous around him, probably part of the questions issue.  I realized that this is a great opportunity to work on whatever kinked my nose around my supervisor this summer.  I need to be relaxed and confident around figures of authority!

Jory also needs to be relaxed when being walked away from me.  He said to have other people watch him for a night, or take him on walks.  This has of made me wonder if maybe one can be co-dependent with a dog....

We visited Poppa's family last night, and his dad took Jory on a walk around the block.  Said he was great.  Walked wonderful as long as he kept a decent pace and didn't let him stop to sniff.  Neighbors really liked him.  Yay.  :)

Oh, we can't have him offering his paw for shake anymore.  I didn't tell glenn that we were training him to wave his paw when he wanted something/to choose what he wanted.  I think that maybe we can have him bump his nose just fine.  It's the attention getting that I'm not sure about.

I'm supposed to call Glenn, because he doesn't text.  :(  Man, I can be such a wuss about calling people.

PPS Jory is now being fed at 6pm only, to get him more food motivated (hungry).  I feel bad, but realized that I can "sneak him food" by training him!  ha.  So I went out, beat up some grass, then started chopping a hot dog.  This turned into commands punctuated by more chopping or running around.  I played a little fetch, giving him a treat when he dropped the ball.  The 20 minute timer went off, letting us go out and find the treats in the stinky grass, and that was a natural end to the play-training.  This could work.

No comments:

Post a Comment