Friday, October 3, 2014

Canyon hike

I keep trying to get to a specific grove, but am turning off on different trails/camping grounds out of curiosity.  BECAUSE I CAN!!!  Unlike the last several many years when I had no car.  So.  Enjoy.

PS, it was raining off and on all weekend.  I got tired of Jory's fur being wet all the time despite using towels and blankets to rub him off (I'm sure he was cold!) So we took a pre-trip trip to Petsmart for a coat.  (I thought of making my own, but decided that would be annoying and ultimately lead to him having no coat.)

oh god why!?

Of course I had to see him with a hood on.  This model was NOT a winner.

Right by the parking! 
 Oh yeah, we encountered some horse back riders loading up from their own hike.  They had black powder muskets, and had to unload them by shooting at some cans in a tree.  SCARY NOISE!!!  I entertained the idea that maybe they were putting their horses down, I didn't realize the guns were the type that need to be shot off initially.  "Just stay cool, Shannen.  If they dump of massive horse body on the trail head, who am I to snitch?"


I made the joke that I was more gunshy than my dog was, after yelping in their perimeter.  They were quite fond of Jory, (everyone that doesn't hate dogs is) but after scoping them out, he decided that they were to be warned off.  "He doesn't like the guns," the main guy commented.  "Maybe!"  Or you're four random bros in the middle of nowhere threatening him and his momma.  Who's to say?
And we're off!  (He was neutral about this coat=win) 

That guilt about "I really need to clip his nails" was not here!  Built in Paw Cleats for the mud.

My shoes that were just perfect for my campus scooter this morning...
horrible for the trail.  I didn't think I was going hiking.  I should just learn to assume.

Sacred off-leash time!




There were at least two types of birds in this bush.  One of them was about the
size of a pheasant, but looked like a dove, and was SO LOUD when it flew off!  Just its wings!


Chill puppy.
Per a weird wildlife law that says rangers can "dispose of dogs deeming to be
harassing wildlife", he was clean.  Good signs should we ever go to a National Park.

IS THIS THE END???!  No.  Drats!!!
One more bend, we'll check one more bend...

We made it!  To... something... kinda lame, actually.
I finally got the sense to go no further.  Rain was coming in again.

lick lick gulp


That fur though!

"Okay, Jory.  Let's go."  Oh, you found a stick.  Naturally.




I think I heard thunder.  Can you believe this guy?

Can you believe me for taking the time to snap a selfie?  I can.

As I thought to take a smiling photo (in case I looked too much like a hag in that one?) Jory came over to see what I was doing.  (Sticks are cool, photos are silly.  I see.)  And we're off again!


One human and a dog agree, this is nice, but the walking is getting old.


Seriously, the rain.  Here is a print from our way up, now filled with water.

So... so wet...  Still handsome.  Took a micro break.

PLEASE can we stop!!!  "Sorry!  Thunder is getting closer!"
Still a ways to go.  UGH.  Yet.. soo pretty!
wow, scooter rain cloud!
The parking!  Open ground!  I'm wet!  WEEEEE!

We were both VERY soaked.
He had taken a posture that was so regal.
I missed the perfect profile, but this gives you the idea.

"No no, Sir Dog is my father."
 
And then we went home.  Where I ultimately fell asleep under the table, where he has a blanket nest and I put a space heater.  (I was trying to jealous him back there from the living room floor, but crashed.  haha.)
The blanket nest in question.  This was him pre-hike.













Morals of the story: 
don't let curiosity drive you too far.  You're not the only one who doesn't like walking back down mountains.
Maybe avoid going into the middle of nowhere on rainy days, lest you are struck by lightning.
Wear better hiking shoes.  Leave the white shirt in the car.  No jeans.  AKA don't wear what you had on in class into the mountains.



No comments:

Post a Comment