Thursday, May 12, 2016

"You should adopt him."

So the other week I went to an interview, it's still brisk outside so Jory came with, waited out in a ventilated and shielded car, then we adventured on the way home.  The final leg was the dog park next to the animal human society.  It is NICE.  I'm sure there are better, but compared to the weedy, muddy, uneven, shit-festering ground that the local city offers dog owners, it's the Ritz.  (For real, you'd think our local would be much more dog friendly since it is all about the sporting goods stores.  Whatever.)  It is landscaped, baby trees will provide shade, there is a picnic table, hoses, and a shed with a porch. 
Two lap-dogs existed, then they left.  While they were leaving, the director brought out a boxer.  "Boxers are so cute!" 
...because they ARE, and we say nice things in conversation.
I don't know if this was some sort of green light to the director, who I eventually joined with her friend having lunch, but this pretty insecure fellow was being hounded by my curious and dominant guy.  I was on high alert in case I needed to drag Jory away, but after some initial separating they thought things were going so well, he was certainly putting up with Jory, so they ran around while the humans used the picnic table.

"They are playing so well together!  You should totally adopt him."

I deflected.  "My boyfriend put the kibosh on a cat.  I don't think he'd be okay with another dog."  PS I don't want to train it, because "I'm starting online school soon." 

It wasn't bad.  Though I later had to smile at my neighbor's reaction to the notion.  "How annoying!  I'll have to NEVER go there with [husband who is dog crazy.]"

What got me off comfort was not her enthusiasm.  "I'm gonna find you a home FOR SURE, buddy!  ...He's a great dog, someone should take him home soon.  He'll be okay."  Bless her heart.

It was the fact that she thought they were a good fit!

Bully plus doormat does not equal a happy home.  NO.  I know, from some experience, that there are some gems out there, that Jory just *clicks* with, and this was NOT that.  Eventually Mr. Tail-Between-the-legs-why-are-you-STILL-sniffing-my-butt?! would lose his cool.  I don't want that in my house. 

Hindsight: Maybe I should not have trusted the woman's confidence that they were doing well and taken Jory out sooner, but they did have a couple of separation moments for sniffing and both sets of humans were happy to see the dogs run their wiggles out.

So.  I was looking through some old pictures, and actually found the ONE DOG I considered "I'd take him home with us right now if their owner didn't love them, no problem."

It was this little guy!  I loved standing up on his back paws!  What a character!

Jory about to bolt at him, because Jory.
No big deal!  We're fine!
He had an over-all calming effect on my exuberant adolescent, while still letting him run around and play.  It was straight magic.



They traded who's mouth was open!!!  How cute is that???

It was touching.
So I'd adopt a dog, if I wasn't still trying to metamorphosize myself into a power-earner.  Or Jaren was okay with it.  BUT!  I'll be looking for something like this.  Must have magic.


No comments:

Post a Comment