Monday, July 7, 2014

More awesome sites

I have too many tabs open!  My laptop is going to burn up.  jk, it's a trooper.

Lets face it, links in bookmarks tend to collect cyber dust.  So I'm trying this, and at least my loyal readers will have a chance to taste the joy I just might deny myself.

#1  Sport that involves less effort from me, for those long, cold homework nights:
Nosework!!!
http://www.clickertraining.com/node/3276
http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/getting-started-nose-work

This made me add the folder "dog-games" to my... well, "dog" folder.  And now it seems so obvious...

Here is some articles from a hard nosed dog trainer that reminds me of Clint Eastwood.  PS, his Q&A will crack you up if you wanna see some flame directed at very opinionated guests.
http://leerburg.com/markers.htm  He isn't letting go of shows of authority in warranted situations.

oh zing, he has a library.

I hit his page, because I'm researching about dog rudeness, as Beth mentioned on the phone, and beyond that, protecting myself and my dog from other hostile creatures.  Pepper spray went from musing to seriously considering.  This guy has pictures of nasty bites, and stories about dogs killed by other, uncontrolled brutes.

I need to research/learn how to effectively use treats.  I know they can lose their power.  And I like the idea of rewarding with play, as well.  (It sounds funner to me, for one thing.  And cheaper!  Plus diet moderating is easier...)
I like his writing, it's a good read:

"Dogs don't know how to be good unless we show them."
"You create your dogs value system."
"People don't give birth to a brat!"
“You can feed, water, and love your dog and he will like you, but he very well may not respect you.”
“Dogs know what you know and they know what you don’t know.”

This article details how I establish pack structure with an adult dog. This is especially important with dogs that are predisposed to becoming dominant or aggressive.

...Becoming a pack leader involves adopting the attitude of a pack leader. It does not involve aggression towards a dog, it doesn’t involve rolling him on his back, hard leash corrections or even raising your voice to the dog.

Etc etc.

I'm off to read my tabs!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment